Best Places To Buy Used Mustang Parts
The internet has drastically changed the way we live, work, and play. There is no industry that has seen more benefit from the adoption of digital commerce than the used car parts business. Gone are the days of scrambling through a junkyard with a pry bar, hammer, and socket set to pick off the part you need from some torn up old muscle car. The internet allows you to quickly price, find and purchase used parts from all over the country with only a few clicks of a mouse.
There are literally hundreds of options on the world wide web to choose from and this crush of choices can often leave Ford Mustang owners wondering which is the best place to buy used Mustang parts online.
Depending on your individual needs and the budget of your project, you have several options for used Mustang parts:
This article will cover the pros and cons of each of these options so you can decide the best place to buy used Mustang parts for yourself!
Buying Used Mustang Parts on eBay
When it comes to the giants of e-commerce on the internet, there are few that are more well known than eBay. Over the years, eBay has earned a reputation for allowing users from all over the United States to post both “auction-style” and “buy-it-now” style listings for all types of vehicles. Search results can be drilled down to a fine level and all listings are flush with photos and descriptions.
For those looking for used Mustang parts, you’ll be able to quickly type in your year and trim to find a wide selection of categories that range from motor mounts to bumper assemblies.
Pros of buying used Mustang parts on eBay:
- A huge marketplace from Mustang owners all over the world.
- Easy to browse listings with detailed photos and descriptions.
- eBay Buyer's Guarantee.
Cons of buying used Mustang parts on eBay:
- Prices that can creep into the price range of new Mustang parts.
- Potentially high shipping cost.
- Little or no guarantee of part quality or long term reliability.
- Typically long lead and shipping times.
Buying Used Mustang Parts on Craigslist
The free online classified search engine known as Craigslist was born in San Francisco and has become the standard for online classifieds all over the country. Each Craigslist website is set up to service a specific, local area and has hundreds of categories to choose from. Among the most popular uses for Craigslist are the buying/selling of both used vehicles and used car parts.
Since the Mustang is one of the most popular muscle/sports cars ever; you’ll be certain to find a selection of used Mustang parts available right in your hometown.
Pros of buying used Mustang parts on Craigslist:
- Local sellers allow you to view the parts in person and check out their quality.
- The ability to haggle over price can lead to lower pricing options.
- Easily check surrounding areas as well as your local town.
- Immediate availability and no shipping costs.
Cons of buying used Mustang parts on Craigslist:
- A limited selection of options, especially if you live in a small community.
- Hard to search for specific parts.
- No guarantee of performance or part quality.
- Hassle from haggling with owners who may be demanding prices that near the price of new Mustang parts.
Buying Used Mustang Parts on Facebook Marketplace
The rise of social media has led to an increase in viable options like Facebook Marketplace. In fact, with over 190 million users, Facebook brings a huge user group to the table for Mustang lovers who are looking for everything from Mustang wheels to oil and fuel pumps. Users simply snap photos and post a short description so other Facebook users in their hometown (and beyond) can search the massive directory.
Much like Craigslist, the general marketplace search is a tool that will bring up all matter of parts and pieces vs. drilled down search results. To get more specific search results, Facebook groups are a fantastic alternative. Mustang owner groups exist for everything from specific platforms (like the Fox Body) to geographic locations. Members of these groups often sell parts from their builds to other group members. These are often tight knit groups who are highly active in the community.
Pros of buying used Mustang parts on Facebook Marketplace:
- Allows you to reach local sellers so you don’t have to deal with high shipping costs.
- Large base of users from all over the country and locally.
- No cost to seller or buyer.
- You can haggle over price to get the parts you need a little cheaper.
Cons of buying used Mustang parts on Facebook Marketplace:
- Hard to look for specific parts or for specific years of Mustang.
- Unlike new Mustang parts, there’s no guarantee that the part will last or provide appropriate performance levels.
- Sellers may flake or be unresponsive to requests.
- Shipping is slow and can be very expensive.
Buying Used Mustang Parts on Car-Part
What makes Car-Part.com unique is that its sellers are not individual users but junkyards and automotive recyclers from all over the country. Essentially, car-part.com brings one of the oldest automotive industries in the world, the junkyard, to the digital age. With over 120 million parts on their directory at any given time, Mustang owners, regardless of year, should be able to find the exact part they need.
While this may seem like a great option, there are certain considerations that may not make Car-Part.com the ideal choice when looking for particular Ford Mustang parts.
Pros of buying used Mustang parts on Car-Part:
- Huge directory of junkyards with over 120 million parts available at any given time.
- Exact search results offered for a specific year and model of Ford Mustang.
- Cheap pricing when compared to new Mustang parts.
Cons of buying used Mustang parts on Car-Part:
- Complicated and cluttered website interface.
- Much of the individual part pricing is not shown and buyers must take several extra steps to purchase.
- No guarantee on quality or lack of abuse in a previous life.
- High shipping prices may offset the lower part cost.
- Long lead times.
The Best Place To Buy Mustang Parts
Steeda Testing At The Track
Well, the answer to this seemingly simple question is that it depends on what type of risk you want to take and how much your time is worth. Purchasing a used car part on any website leaves out a crucial piece of the puzzle: the amount of wear and tear on a part. For those that are looking to do something the absolute cheapest way possible and don’t mind spending time researching, haggling, or waiting around for parts - any of these options will work.
eBay does provide some buyer assurance but most sellers do note that their parts carry little more than a 30-day guarantee. This means on day 31, you’re out of luck and you’ll need to purchase and re-install the part that fails. You could also have a great experience! At the end of the day, this risk is something you’ll have to contend with. We should note that the risk with non-mechanical parts (i.e. a dashboard or a bumper) is much less risky and going used on these types of parts is generally a good idea.
For those looking to eliminate the potential for issues and purchase parts that are of high-quality; the best option is to go for new Mustang parts and save yourself the hassle, headache, and impact on your wallet. Top that off with the top-notch customer service you'll get from the experts here at Steeda, and it's a no-brainer!