13 replies to this topic

#1 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

...or at least myself and a few others are pretty sure.

I am hoping for any help confirming this or how I would go about doing that.

Back Story:
I recently picked up a 91 Notchback. The owner made a point of repeatedly telling me it is a real Steeda and has the Steeda suspension, custom exhaust and Engine work including upper and lower intake. While I love Mustangs I was mainly looking for something that would start, run, and take me to work. That is all that mattered to me at the time. The Steeda thing I just assumed, like most people, someone just installed some Steeda parts and slapped a Windshield banner on it. Well, it started, sounded fantastic, and ran like a raped ape. So...Done! It came home with me.

After driving it a bit I realized I really liked how it ran and especially how it handled. With that in mind I figured, Ok I will keep it and fix it up. While looking at it I noticed that the windshield banner was not the only Steeda tag. There was the trunk lid badge (not a cheap sticker) and name on the back also and on the top of the manifold was a professional looking Steeda name across it. I thought wow, someone did a good job tagging it as a Steeda. Goes well with the way it runs and handles.

While making my list of small things to fix or replace I noticed on the passenger side dashboard a dash plaque next to the Mustang badge. The plaque is so faded and I couldn't read it at first. I figured I would find out what it said when I found a replacement. I could not find a replacement that was the same size or shape and I was not sure what it said to begin with anyway. I started asking around and someone said Special Editions and 7-up cars had a dash plaque. I knew this was not a 7-up car and aside from the Steeda thing, not sure what would make it special edition. This was the first thing that got me looking harder.

After a few posts on Facebook pages and reading different discussions on the Steeda Forums it seems that this could be an extremely rare Mustang.

Other then changing the wheels (the others were beat to death)I have not had it up on a jack or really looked under it yet. Been cold as all $#!$#$ here in Pa. Plus, I'm not a mechanic, so it's kinda like a 13 year old looking at a pretty woman. He knows he likes it but really does not know what he is looking at or what to do with it. lol

This is what I know for sure:
--It is a 1991 Notchback 5.0
--Steeda Windshield Banner
--Steeda Trunk Lid Name and Steeda "S" Badge
--Had Steeda type wheels with Prime center caps when I got it.
--Has GT-40 Tubular upper and lower intake. Labeled Steeda.
--There is some kind of exhaust work. Reminds me of the stainless steel exhaust I had on my 1982 GT w/351.
--There is some kind of serious suspension upgrade. It takes these winding and curving Pa country roads like it is on rails.
--It has an AOD with Trans Cooler and will do 130mph in 3rd and still pull.
--The Dash Plaque IS a Steeda Plaque. It is extremely faded and hard to read. When the light hit is just right I would see the Steeda Logo in the top left. Performance (I think) under that. On the bottom left to right it says "Engineered by Steeda Autospots Inc." and on the top opposite the Steeda logo it says 0791MUSTANG (The 9 is questionable but pretty sure on the other numbers). I had to play with the photo in Picassa photo editor to be able to make out the 0791. Everything else I could see without it.

Here is some of the hear-say and unconfirmed info.
--On one of the threads a local guy said he had seen the AD and knew the original owner. Said he was a friend of his dads and that he bought the car that way. The dealership had it on the floor to show you could order it that way and the guy bought this one right off the floor.
--He also stated that there were only 78 made that year.
--I read in the forums (I think) that 91 was the first year Ford let Steeda take the cars right from the assembly line pre-title.
--I called Steeda support number literally 3 minutes before they closed the other day. (Sorry my work schedule was the cause of that) and the gentleman that answered the phone was kinda short but said look for a plaque on the dash and maybe, but not always, under the hood.
--The guy I spoke to and the webmaster that approved my account to post said they don't have records that far back.
--Someone else from Steeda mentioned on another forum post that the records were fuzzy in the early years and kept in a different building. I really find that hard to swallow that Steeda would have no records. I guess it is possible, but I think the right person might be able to find something.

What I am looking to accomplish / find out:
--I am wanting to 100% confirm weather or not it is a true Steeda (it seems to be)
--If confirmed I am hoping to get some kind of documentation from Steeda. A build sheet would be great but anything official that can confirm it.
--If confirmed I would like to have the Plaque remade, especially with Steeda's blessing because I do plan to restore the car.
--Of course I would like to know what this car could be worth. If only for insurance reasons. I would be hard pressed to sell it either way, but if I do I'd like to know what to expect and not get screwed. Already had a few slightly above average offers which also led me to look further into considering they came from collectors.
--In the time I have been typing this someone said I should run a Marti Report on it. Never heard of it but now that I look at it they seem to cover much more than CarFax (http://www.martiauto...eport_chart.cfm) I will be doing this on Friday.

Thanks so much for any help in advance! If anyone needs or wants some additional photos just let me know. Thanks! ---Drew

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 steedamatt

steedamatt

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi there, I've been looking and we dont seem to have a record of that serial number. Can you give me the vin and a few more pics of the engine bay, rear brakes, and exterior and I'll dig a little deeper.

#4 steedamatt

steedamatt

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi there, I've been looking and we dont seem to have a record of that serial number. Can you give me the vin and a few more pics of the engine bay, rear brakes, and exterior and I'll dig a little deeper.

#5 steedamatt

steedamatt

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

#6 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Here is the thread were I learned some of the info...... https://www.facebook...58466991&type=1

#7 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Here are some pics. Since the car was smacked in the front I don't know what may have been changed in this area.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

I sent the VIN in a PM to you. Thanks!

#9 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Been talking with someone from Steeda and he is doing some much appreciated research on his end. So far he said they did not keep records back then like they do now but he is still checking.

I recently ran a vehicle history report. (I will also be paying for a Marti Report soon) and came across something that the Steeda guy found interesting too. VIN shows car was built in Dearborn, MI. but very first even on vehicle history says:

Date: 10-19-1990
Odometer: -----
Source: Independent Source
Details: Vehicle Manufactured and Shipped to Dealer

Seems like it was built at Ford in MI and then "Manufactured" in Florida and sent to dealer. Steeda is based in Florida. BUT the search for 100% confirmation continues but at least it looks good.

The next event on the history was:

Date: 04-30-1991
Odometer: 1,537
Source: Auto Auction
Details: Reported at Auto Auction

The 3rd event is the first registration. Not sure how that all works since there were about 14k miles put on between auction and second record of registration. No miles marked on 1st registration.

Date: 03-25-1996
Odometer: ---
Source: Motor Vehicle Department
Details: Registration Event / Renewal

Date: 03-11-1998
Odometer: 15,152
Source: Motor Vehicle Department
Details: Registration Event / Renewal

Can't wait to see what the Marti Report shows.

#10 Steeda Webmaster

Steeda Webmaster

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi Drew. We do not have records back that far for Steeda built cars. We, unfortunately, have no way to verify if the car is genuine.

#11 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thank you so much. I am finding the lack of records to be a common theme. I am now piecing together the clues since there is no quick easy direct way to confirm it.

I understand that Steeda used to purchase cars from Auctions to build up.
Do you or anyone at Steeda know what Auctions Steeda used to buy their vehicles from in the Early 90s? The original ordering Dealer was Powell Motor Co. in Ft. Lauderdale. I called and they are now. Autonation and do not have records that far back.

The very nice lady there said the auctions MAY be Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Auto Auction on State Route 7 and the other may be Manheim in Orlando. I will be contacting hopefully only one, but both if needed here in a few minutes.

If anyone knows of other auctions used that information would be very helpful.

Documentation trail I can follow is getting short. I think I am almost to the point of the only way would be to talk directly with someone who was physically there building these things back in the day. Dario Orlando available? lol

Thanks!
     --Drew

#12 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Also...Since the dash plaque is faded and hard to read and almost impossible to photo I did a sketch of what can be seen with the naked eye in the right light. Hope maybe this kind of plaque rings a bell with someone.

Thanks
     Drew

Posted Image

#13 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

Here is the most recent post on the Facebook thread. ( https://www.facebook...58466991&type=1 ).....

Welp found out a lot today and getting closer. I'll be happy when I can have the plaque remade with the correct number on it. Ideally having it remade via Steeda. The Marti Report came back but did not mention Steeda. It did have the dealership in Florida that ordered the car listed. I called but the dealership was bought years ago and did not have records going back that far. Since the car went to auction after that the lady on the phone did give me the names of the two auctions they most likely used. I called them both. One was a little rude and the other while slightly helpful, could not tell me if the car came through them due to privacy issues.

While wondering what my next step would be I thought I would check my phone and see if I still have the texts and number for the guy I got the car from. Bingo, can't believe I still have it. Sent him a text asking if he knew how to get a hold of either of the previous owners. He responded back in short order with a name and number. Sweet! This was for the second owner. Still trying to find out the original owner but one step closer.

I called him up and dude picked up the phone right away. Guy was super nice and chock full of info. After telling him who I was he confirmed he owned the car and said it was a real Steeda built car. He said that the mods that were done by Steeda were:
--Rear end and gears
--Stainless Steel Exhaust
--Intake and Manifold
--Throttle body
--That year's G-trac suspension kit
--5 Star Wheels by Prime
--Steeda Badges and Trophy plate on dash
--He thinks the plate numbers were 9111 (not sure if spaces or not) it was getting faded when he got it.
--Also, thought this was cool, the Steeda weight lifters in the quarter windows is not a sticker. They are etched into the glass and painted. Pretty damn cool. Had to go out and touch them just to see. lol

The info he had was from the dealer and the book. Dealer has since gone out of business. I asked him if he knew the original owner. He said no but to check the owner's book. I noticed the owner's book but never thought to look in it. He told me there were notes in the back about the upgrades. Sure enough the original warranty card with the original owner's name was in the book. Also the notes about upgrades. What was really cool though is a polaroid photo of the car on what looks like the first day. You know have you always take a pic the day you bring it home. Looks sharp and on it were the wheels I still have but are beat. Also it is real nice to know there were Steeda badges right above the 5.0 on the fenders.

In the notes I noticed the name Sunbury Auto and a phone number. Gave them a ring and got to talk to their mustang expert. Seems there is nobody around there from back in the day. As seems to be the pattern, they did not have records from back then. Telling him what I have found out so far and him checking out some photos he feels it is a real Steeda also. He said how back then people were just starting to be able to order a Steeda from the dealer so while trying to expand Steeda would send vehicles to dealerships as floor models. It was nice to hear him say "I'd bet my paycheck that is what you've got." He said if anyone at Steeda is doing a history of the company they might be interested in one from their early days. Said I would really want to talk with someone who was there in the early days hands on.

My next step is to try and track down and contact the original owner. I at least have his name now. I would like to hear directly from him and see if he has any documents or anything and most of all if he remembers the number of the dash plaque. I did ask a guy at Steeda to check the 9111 number but I have not heard back from him yet. My wife says once I get the body and paint fixed (really the only problem), I should drive it to Steeda in Florida and let them look at it first hand. I would not mind that at all but that trip isn't free. lol

I'll add some pics below of the book, notes, and the picture. There was also a photo of a child playing in there. I'll make sure if I get in contact with the original owner to get that to him.

#14 TheDmtElf

TheDmtElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image